A.G. Schneiderman: Shop For Health Insurance At The Official Marketplace, "NY State Of Health"
New York State Health Insurance Exchange For New Individual And Family Health Insurance Is Open For Enrollment; Be A Smart Shopper; Be Aware Of Tax Credits And Key Benefits
Schneiderman: Every New Yorker Deserves Health Insurance And My Office Is Here To Ensure That No One Is Subject To Healthcare Scams
NEW YORK – Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman today issued a consumer advisory encouraging New Yorkers to sign up for affordable health insurance now being offered through “New York State of Health,” the official marketplace created by Governor Cuomo to purchase health plans made possible by the Affordable Care Act.
Enrollment for individual and family health insurance plans through the marketplace, or exchange, began Oct. 1 and ends March 31. The exchange helps more New Yorkers find affordable health insurance. You may be eligible for a tax credit to help you with premium costs. You can also sign up for Medicaid through the NY State of Health Marketplace.
But, as with all new programs -- be careful! Make sure you deal only with the official NY State of Health marketplace, and counselors certified by New York to assist you. Follow these tips to protect yourself:
- To sign up for health insurance, and for any questions, go directly to the official New York website or call 1-855-355-5777.
- Do not give out personal information to someone not connected with NY State of Health, The Official Health Plan Marketplace. You will be required to give out personal information when shopping for a plan, but do not do so unless you are sure you are working through the official marketplace or with a state-approved certified navigator. Certification can be verified here or call 1-855-355-5777.
- Do not pay anyone for help in selecting a health insurance plan. State-approved certified navigators do not charge consumers for their services. There are no fees to sign up for health insurance through the NY State of Health, The Official Health Plan Marketplace.
- Medicare plans are not available though the NY State of Health, The Official Health Plan Marketplace. It is against the law for anyone to try to sell you a marketplace plan if you have Medicare.
- Take your time and consider which health insurance plan is best for you. If you have questions, go to the websiteor call 1-855-355-5777.
- You can also get in-person help. To find locations, go to the website or call 1-855-355-5777. Beware of unsolicited offers of help.
- If you suspect fraud, call the New York State Attorney General's Health Care Helpline at 800-428-9071.
The health plans that will be offered on the NY State of Health marketplace are identified below. You may also buy a health plan not connected with the NY State of Health marketplace. The key difference is that consumers who purchase a plan outside of the NY State Health marketplace will not be eligible for tax credits.
All plans must cover essential benefits, which include: doctor’s visits; hospital stays; emergency care; maternity and newborn care; mental health and substance abuse disorder services; prescription drugs; rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices; laboratory services; preventive and wellness services, chronic disease management and pediatric dental and vision. Some plans will offer additional benefits such as adult dental and vision coverage.
The health plans that will be offered through NY State of Health, The Official Health Plan Marketplace are:
- Affinity Health Plan, Inc.
- American Progressive Life & Health Insurance Company of New York (Today’s Options of NY, Inc.)
- Capital District Physicians Health Plan, Inc.
- Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York (EmblemHealth)
- Empire BlueCross and Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Excellus (Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield in Central NY and Univera in Western NY)
- Fidelis Care
- Freelancers Co-Op (Health Republic Insurance)
- Healthfirst New York
- HealthNow New York, Inc. (Blue Shield of NENY; Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western NY)
- Independent Health
- MetroPlus Health Plan (Market Plus)
- MVP Health Plan, Inc.
- North Shore LIJ
- Oscar Insurance Corporation
- United Healthcare of New York, Inc. (United, Oxford)