Criminal Enforcement and Financial Crimes Bureau FAQ

What kinds of cases does the Criminal Enforcement and Financial Crimes Bureau investigate and prosecute?

In general, the law states that this Office does not have jurisdiction over most criminal matters. The Attorney General prosecutes fraud in the sale of securities, anti-trust violations, the unlicensed practice of a profession, and other types of fraud, when the case is referred to the Attorney General by the head of a State agency.

If I have a Criminal Complaint, what should I do?

If you have a complaint about a criminal matter, we recommend that you contact your local District Attorney's Office. If you need legal advice, we recommend that you contact your county bar association for a referral to an attorney.

If I want copies of documents from old cases that the Attorney General prosecuted, what do I do?

If you need documents that may be in the possession of the Attorney General, you need to make a FOIL request.

If the Attorney General does not have jurisdiction and cannot help me, who can?

Please contact the relevant state agency that related to your complaint.


sitemap Intergov foil PressOffice RegionalOffices SolicitorGeneral AppealsandOpinions CrimPros OCTF MFCU PublicIntegrityInvestigations TaxpayerProtection ConvictionBureau Antitrust ConsumerFrauds Internet InvestorProtectionRealEstateFinance CharitiesCivilRightsEnvironmentHealthCareLaborTobaccoCivilRecoveriesClaims Litigation RealPropertySOMB Budget LegalRecruitment Human Resources Bureau home oaghome contact private policy disclaimer